Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Poem that is So True!

I have been reflecting lately about the events
of the week of May 26th. Sometimes it is hard
for me to think of Hal's grief, because I am
so consumed in mine. So when I read this poem
I thought it speaks the truth.

A Father's Grief

It must be very difficult
To be a man in grief,
Since "men don't cry"
and "men are strong"
No tears can bring relief.

It must be very difficult
To stand up to the test
And field the calls and visitors
So she can get some rest.

They always ask if she's all right
And what she's going through.
But seldom take his hand and ask,
"My friend, but how are you?"

He hears her crying in the night
And thinks his heart will break.
He dries her tears and comforts her,
But "stays strong" for her sake.

It must be very difficult
To start each day anew.
And try to be so very brave-
He lost his baby too.

Eileen Knight Hagemeister

7 comments:

Aunt Tiff said...

WOW!!! That is a beautiful poem...you AND Hal both amaze me!!!

The Lowes said...

You touched my heart. I love you!

The Lowes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sonya said...

That is a great poem. I think about you alot! I like reading your blog!

JZM said...

That is so sweet...sniff. You guys are a great family. We appreciate your examples.

charmort said...

wow. How tender. I can't believe we're coming up on a year. I think of your family and Carissa ALOT. Love ya.

Me... said...

Wow! I wish I could have had this poem after I lost Jack. My husband was the one that had to hold us all together - emotionally, spiritually, and financially - but in the inside, he suffered so much. Everyone always asked me how I was doing, but the dad tends to get over looked. I am going to copy and paste that poem and keep it in my files!